Utah K-20 Summit: Nov. 14, 2019
Utah Valley University, Sorensen Student Center, Room 206
Nov. 14, 2019, 10:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Board of Regents 50th Anniversary Reception: 5:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Please join us for a conversation with members of the state’s education governing boards, policymakers, and state-level leaders on the transition from high school to college, focusing on postsecondary access and earning college credit in high school.
10:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. Morning Convening
- Welcome: Astrid S. Tuminez, President, Utah Valley University
- Remarks: Mark Huntsman, Chair of the Utah State Board of Education; Nina Barnes, Vice Chair of the USHE Board of Regents; and Steven Moore, Chair of the UTech Board of Trustees
- Remarks: Lt. Governor Spencer Cox
- Utah’s changing demographics and challenges with the talent pipeline: Natalie Gochnour, Associate Dean in the David Eccles School of Business and Director of the Kem C. Gardner Policy Institute at the University of Utah
- Utah’s growing opportunity gap: Carrie Mayne, Associate Commissioner of Workforce and Research, Utah System of Higher Education
- Panel discussion on the importance of the transition from high school to postsecondary education: Dave Woolstenhulme, Commissioner of Higher Education; Sydnee Dickson, State Superintendent; and Jared Haines, Commissioner of Technical Education
- Overview of goals and anticipated outcomes for the day
12:30 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. Lunch
1:00 p.m. - 3:50 p.m. Breakout Sessions (two 1.5-hour sessions that will repeat)
A) Earning Postsecondary Credit in High School
- Increasing access to accelerated coursework (Advanced Placement/Concurrent Enrollment/International Baccalaureate)
- Career and Technical Education certificates in high school
- College and Career Readiness Plans in high school
B) Postsecondary Access
- Statewide expansion of the Utah College Advising Corps
- Discussion of state scholarships
- FAFSA completion in Utah
- Key external partners to aid in college access: Utah Futures, United Way, Keys to Success
4:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. Discussion and Next Steps
- Review discussion from each breakout session
- Next steps
- Discussion: Proposed Joint Board Resolution
5:30 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. Reception
Celebrate the 50th anniversary of the USHE Board of Regents with invited guests, special remarks, and hors d’oeuvres at Utah Valley University’s Grand Ballroom.