The Utah System of Higher Education (USHE) has tabulated the total degrees and certificates awarded annually by Utah’s public institutions. In 2015-16, the most recent complete academic year, USHE institutions awarded the most degrees ever in its history. The details of the certificate and degrees awarded data are available in the USHE Data Book, published annually by the Commissioner’s Office. The data shows the types of degrees awarded and accompanying demographic information, as well as fields of study. For example, did you know 75% of all degrees and certificates awarded in Utah come from a public institution? The mix of degree types across institutions demonstrates the distinct mission of the eight USHE institutions and the regions they serve.
Other interesting data from the 2015-16 degrees and certificates awarded:
- 43% of all USHE awards are bachelor’s degrees.
- Approximately ⅓ of all awards at the University of Utah were graduate degrees.
- The number of certificates awarded at USHE institutions combined has increased by 40% over five years (compared to 10% for bachelor’s degrees).
- Over half of all awards at Dixie State University are associate degrees.
- 51% of USHE degrees and certificates were awarded to females.
- Between 2014-15 and 2015-16, USHE institutions awarded 3.7% fewer master’s degrees while awarding 4.6% more associate degrees.