BOARD OF REGENTS
TELECONFERENCE, SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH
FRIDAY, MAY 15, 2020
COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE
- Harris Simmons, Chair
- Nina R. Barnes, Vice Chair
- Jesselie B. Anderson
- Lisa-Michele Church
- Wilford W. Clyde
- Sanchaita Datta joined late-was not available for any votes
- Alan E. Hall joined late-was not available for any votes
- Marlin K. Jensen
- Ron Jibson
- Patricia Jones
- Steven Lund
- Crystal Maggelet
- Sheva Mozafari
- Cristina Ortega
- Robert W. Prince
- Mark Stoddard
- Thomas E. Wright
Office of the Commissioner
- Dave R. Woolstenhulme, Interim Commissioner of Higher Education
Institutional Presidents Present
- Ruth V. Watkins, University of Utah
- Noelle Cockett, Utah State University
- Scott L Wyatt, Southern Utah University
- Astrid S. Tuminez, Utah Valley University
- Richard B. Williams, Dixie State University
- Deneece G. Huftalin, Salt Lake Community College
- Brad L. Mortensen, Weber State University
- Brad J. Cook, Snow College
Chair Simmons called the meeting to order at 10:02 a.m. He welcomed everyone to the last meeting of the Board of Regents 50 year history.
Committee of the Whole
Resolution for Bob Garff (TAB I)
Chair Simmons read a resolution honoring Bob Garff. Regent Wright made a motion approve the resolution; Regent Anderson seconded the motion and the motion passed.
Resolution for J. Lynn Dougan (TAB J)
Chair Simmons read a resolution honoring former Regent J. Lynn Dougan. Regent Jones made a motion approve the resolution; Regent Jibson seconded the motion and the motion passed.
Resolution for Board of Regents (TAB K)
Chair Simmons read a resolution acknowledging the many years of service provided by the members of the Board of Regents. Regent Barnes made a motion approve the resolution; Regent Stoddard seconded the motion and the motion passed.
General Consent Calendar (TAB L)
On a motion by Regent Mozafari and seconded by Regent Prince the following items were approved on the Regents’ General Consent Calendar
- Minutes – Minutes of the Board meeting March 11, 2020, Conference Call and March 26 & 27, 2020, Teleconference.
- Resolutions of individual Board of Regents
- Academic and Student Affairs Items
- Finance and Facilities Items Grant Proposals
Adoption of Policy R430, Deep Technology Initiative (TAB M)
Geoff Landward noted this policy is a result of SB 96 which passed during the legislative session and established the Deep Technology Initiative. Regent Jones made a motion to approve as outlined in TAB M; the motion was seconded by Regent Jensen and the motion passed.
2019-2020 USHE Annual Report (TAB N)
Commissioner Woolstenhulme noted this is a culmination of the work done within the Commissioner’s office and Board of Regents. This is an information item only; no action was taken.
Jessica Gilmore provided an overview of CTE/TE. This was a discussion item only; no action was taken.
The Leavitt Partners provided updates on the Coivd-19 task force and facilitated a discussion on opening institutions again. There was also a discussion on enrollment and budget issues. This was a discussion item only; no action was taken.
On a motion by Regent Lund and seconded by Regent Anderson, the meeting was closed.
The meeting adjourned at 11:45 a.m.